The most overlooked part of your property is your driveway. It is a home construction that is often neglected when it comes to aesthetics but it serves as the forefront where visitors could easily notice.
While there are different paving options for a driveway, people favour the one that is durable but cheaper.
Is gravel a cheaper driveway paving?
If we are going to compare gravel with other paving surfaces like concrete and tarmac, gravel is way cheaper. It will save you more than half of what you can spend with concrete or tarmac. The only thing you need to prepare for is the upkeep. Nonetheless, it is still more affordable compared to the rest.
Another factor that opens an opportunity for saving some pounds is the length of your driveway. Gravel is a favourable choice for homes with long driveways.
Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of a gravel driveway.
- More affordable and cost-efficient
- Cheaper upkeep.
- Environment friendly. It doesn’t cause flooding.
- Diverse in style.
- Easy to install.
- Not good in snowy areas. When cleanup time, rocks will be displaced.
- Sinkholes can easily form due to its loose aggregates.
- Can easily get dirty. Debris can be hard to remove.
A gravel driveway is unique in itself. Gravel has its distinct quality even when there are other options available. Whether you choose gravel, the Bristol Driveway team will build it from scratch.
Gravel is an ideal type of surface; it is sustainable and environmentally friendly because it is ideal for flood-prone areas. It easily absorbs and drains the water, leaving no standing water or puddles to worry about.
Gravel, on the other hand, is not a cohesive material because it is made of collective loose stone aggregates. But when bonded together, you will come up with a formidable surface that is suitable for areas with frequent flooding.
Due to its high absorbency, gravel is a perfect catch basin for running water while keeping its integrity no matter the weather condition.
Gravel driveway installation from the experts
A gravel driveway can be built DIY. Doing it on your own will save you hundreds of pounds to pay for skilled labour. Unless you wanted a patterned block or resin and concrete, you need a more skilled person to lay the surface.
But you can opt to hire expert driveway fitters to ensure precise workmanship and save you time.
Here are the steps in laying your gravel driveway and patio:
- Debris is taken out or dug from the ground. Depending on the type of ground, it is best to clean up the area; remove grass or weeds. If there are rocks and other debris, it is better to use a bulldozer to easily prep the ground.
- Measure the area to be paved and ask for recommendations on how much gravel you need for that area.
- Establish four short posts that will serve as the perimeter area for the path.
- Attach strings on posts.
- Level the ground as a preparation for the gravel.
- Cover the inside area with gravel not exceeding the boundary.
- Pour on crusher dust and scree the loose stones to even the surface
- Pour again another layer of gravel
- Spread and compact the top layer/
- Flatten the surface to make it solid or compact
Your gravel driveway should consist of three layers of gravel. Ask our installers for the exact thickness each layer should be if you are unsure of the specifics. Nonetheless, the top layer should provide a more stable and compact surface ready to drive on.
Your gravel driveway and patio will last for years depending on day to day activities and the amount of human traffic. But it will typically serve its purpose for decades if properly maintained.
Harsh and unpredictable weather may harm the integrity of your gravel surface, leaving some potholes and cracks exposed to further damage. If this is so, ensure that these problems are immediately repaired.
Bristol Driveway & Patio Pro specialises in different patio and driveway surfaces types but we graciously welcome customers to request bespoke projects, the ones that will add delight to your home and will serve you in many ways like the gravel.\
Call our team or talk to our customer representative in case you need assistance with repairs and cleaning. Our installers will be more than happy to assist you.